Custom Websites, What You Need To Know – Tangible Strategies
Tangible Strategies is Greenville, SC’s premier choice for small business marketing. They specialize in branding, custom websites, and social media. Recently, Tangible Strategies Owner & Marketing Manager, Joanna Reese, met with The Queen Photographers in Greenville to talk all about websites, hiring a developer, SEO, and costs involved with websites. In today’s post we’ll share tips provided by Tangible Strategies.
Custom Websites vs. Template Sites
Do you need a custom website? And what exactly classifies a website as custom? Joanna took us through a series of critical business-dependent questions to help us determine whether or not custom site or template sites would be a best fit for our needs.
What Do You Want Your Site To Do?
- Need complex functionality or simple sites to only provide information for prospective clients?
How Quickly Do You Need It Built?
- Template sites, even with their technical limitations, can be assembled in a few hours.
- Custom-designed sites will take at least a few weeks, but can grow with you. Your developer can update the design, layout, and functionality to fit your needs as your business grows.
How Important is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to your business?
- If most of your clients will find you through a Google search, then template sites may not be your best bet.
- Template sites do offer SEO capabilities, but will require require more work.
How Important Are Aesthetics To Your Brand?
- If you’re a plumber, it may be less important to have a beautiful, one-of-a-kind design.
- However, if you’re a photographer or florist or custom bakery your brand will suffer if your website is visually unappealing or looks the same as your competitors.
- In order to sell a high-quality aesthetic product, you should invest in your brand and website being custom-designed to align with your unique message.
What is Your Budget?
- If you only have a few hundred dollars allotted for your website, it is much smarter to spend some time on a nice template than to hire a cheap “web developer”. Any website (template or custom) needs to be mobile-responsive, which is built into many suites such as Squarespace.
- However, ensuring that a custom website is mobile-responsive takes more time and expertise. Therefore, if you only spend a couple hundred dollars on a custom website, you will likely receive an outdated, unresponsive site that is less useful than a template. Decent custom websites for small business range from $2000-$8000.
Questions to Ask Potential Developers
- What is the timeline?
- Can I see sample websites you have built recently and in the same price range?
- Will I own the website after I pay?
- Can I host it anywhere I want?
- What is NOT included in the price?
- Is the price a quote or an estimate?
- How much feedback can I provide on the design?
- Does development include SEO?
- Will this be a template or custom?
Costs of a Website
Any more questions? Feel free to reach out Joanna and the Tangible Strategies in team here. Feel free to reach out to them for your small business marketing needs. They are located in Greenville, SC.